Saturday 10 April 2010

It begins

After 24 hours of planes and airports, a really difficult time getting through customs ("why are you here" "holiday" "booked your flights out?" "yep" *stamp* "go on" followed by a door that read 'nothing to declare' which I went through expecting oh... an x-ray machine at least, perhaps a beagle or two... and came out basically at the train station), the amazing marvel that is a rail connection to a major city, a hotel that doesn't know it's charging people's credit cards and a train station with apparently no escalators or lifts (20kg suitcase up 3 flights of stairs... noooo!) I arrived at my base of ops for the next few days.

I am currently sitting in the lounge at YHA St Pancras, across the road is the British Library and Kings Cross station.

Starting with the British Library... wow. So that's what a real library looks like. Seriously, the State Library is pretty good but this one just blows it out of the water. It is well designed - no stalking people to get a chair/table, beautiful, and holds some of the most amazing books and documents. Today I had a look at Magna Carter, the original manuscript of Beuwolf, Jane Austen's writing desk, some of the oldest printed texts in the world, first edition Shakspeare books (printed in 1609) and the original scribbled lyrics of the Beatles. Hard Day's Night is written on the back of a birthday card John gave to his son Julian. Oh yes. I was excited. And in the middle of it all, going up 6 levels is the King's Library, which us plebs can't get into but it sure looks impressive (many leather bound books... it may have smelt of rich mahogony)

I then took a stroll over to the British Museum. The British Empire sure did come in handy for collecting bucket loads of historically significant bits and pieces. It was massive. Exhausting to walk around, but really interesting. They've got good old Lindow Man on display so that was fun. I think I'll have to take Mum when she gets here to go see the (unfortunately, not free) Italian drawing exhibition. I probably shouldn't have gone on a Saturday afternoon though. Very much full of children, who were NOT respecting the artefacts!! But homewares nerd Steph still managed to get ever so excited going through the 18th/19th century rooms which housed a lot of original Wedgwood pieces...

Well I'll leave it there for now. I found a nothing over 2 pound bookstore so bought myself a few for when I can't be bothered being a tourist, which is now.

Oh, one thing though, I do love that gross-grainy-out-a-drip-perculator 'coffee' is called americano over here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you like London for now! Visiting the British Library must be interesting with all these old books.
    I'll read your blog from now on! :)

    ReplyDelete